Friday, June 9, 2017

Prize-winning poet Charles Simic to give a Back Roads Reading at Brownington

Until I looked him up on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Simic, I didn't know Charles Simic was out-and-out famous.  I only knew that I liked his poems in The New Yorker.  Don't know how we are so lucky as to receive him in the NEK, but a mailing from the Old Stone House Museum lists an event in the Back Roads Reading series at Brownington Congregational Church, Sunday August 6 at 3 pm with a reception at the Samuel Read Hall House across the road.

Two earlier readings are on July 9th, for Leland Kinsey, and July 23, Ellen Bryant Voight.

Here's a sample, Stone:

Go inside a stone
That would be my way.
Let somebody else become a dove
Or gnash with a tiger’s tooth.
I am happy to be a stone.
From the outside the stone is a riddle:
No one knows how to answer it.
Yet within, it must be cool and quiet
Even though a cow steps on it full weight,
Even though a child throws it in a river,
The stone sinks, slow, unperturbed
To the river bottom

No comments:

Post a Comment