Friday, July 21, 2017

A waterfall poem by Mariel Hess

Mariel Hess wrote a waterfall poem in response to what we affectionately call our "homework."  This task was connected to our first meeting, in June, when
left to right:  Ellen Mass, Joanne Giannino, Mariel Hell, Adrien Helm
we saw Paterson, the film, ending with the scene in Paterson, New Jersey at the Great Falls.  Our waterfalls here and about are also nice, as is Mariel's poem for us.









WATERFALL

When I need to retreat from the world, to find calm or solitude
I imagine you, losing myself in your mesmerizing movement and soothing sound
I surrender to the paradox of your simultaneous coming and going
Your perpetual stationary movement gentles my body and soul

I note the light playing your keening, careening body with sparkles and dapples
I listen to your myriad competing voices telling stories - unintelligible,  enigmatic
You carry a wisdom that I cannot fathom;
I rest peacefully in the knowledge of not knowing.

- by Mariel Hess, 7/4/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment